RECENT POST

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The End Of An Era


My very favourite & most long-standing client J. is retiring from practice today. He doesn't want a fuss, so we are gathering for a lunch to ostensibly celebrate his birthday. When I first started this role 20 years ago, his reputation preceded him. I was told by everyone that if I didn't know my 'stuff' he would eat me up & spit me out. So I made an appointment to see him & then spent the next week with my nose firmly stuck in every clinical paper & journal article he'd ever written, desperately trying to memorize their content. On the morning of the dreaded visit, I was physically shaking & still remember the feeling like it was yesterday.... I was really, really scared!

And just as expected he grilled me on highly technical data & complex clinical applications. At the end of an hour he stood up, extended his hand across the desk, looked at me with his twinkling blue, blue eyes & said 'Well Millie, I think you & I will get along just fine.' And from that moment we have. He is a brilliant Clinician & Academic & we have travelled together to many overseas Conferences, enjoying each other's company immensely. We have had our 'moments' over the years, but the admiration & respect I have for this lovely, lovely man will go on forever. A quiet achiever who eschews the limelight, today he just wants to do his final list, care for his last patient & quietly walk away. As much as we will try not to, I think those of us at lunch today will struggle to keep our emotions in check, I hope he will understand if I need to fossick around in my handbag for a Kleenex or 5. I will miss him so much, but wish him & his dear wife M. many happy days ahead, relaxing & enjoying what life has to offer them after a lifetime of care & service to others.


Image: Natrea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online