RECENT POST

Sunday, November 23, 2008

149 Neil Road

























Images Ong & Ong

Well, I guess it was bound to happen, I had to grab the Kleenex while writing a post. Normally the only other subject of my posts that could possibly have reduced me to tears is MOTH - & those are generally tears of laughter at his renovation 'mishaps' . However the subject of today's post actually bought tears of happiness, because of the beauty I see in these images.

I've been travelling to Singapore regularly for work for nearly 20 years & just love it to bits. I've always enjoyed wandering around China Town & Little India, into the back streets & alleyways where the character of the old city can still be seen. However, over the years I've seen this slowly but surely disappearing to make way for high-rise residential developments & it has deeply saddened me.

So it was with great delight that I discovered the work of Ong & Ong, a group of Singaporean architects who are restoring some of the old city buildings with great care & empathy. 149 Neil Street is actually a shop-house conservation, where the external facade has been lovingly refurbished to its historical glory, while the interior has been remodelled to suit the modern lifestyle of the current resident. This house has great beauty & a quiet stillness, to me its a haven of calm & reflection of past lives lived within its walls. Bravo Ong & Ong!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online