RECENT POST

Monday, December 1, 2008

7 Things

Thank you to the lovely Ewa over at Ewa in the Garden , the incredibly talented Clare, JJ & Susie Q. from Mondo Cherry & the gorgeous Ness at Marley & Lockyer for asking me to join in the 'Share 7 things about yourself' challenge.


The deal is: Share 7 things about yourself. Challenge other blogs at the end of your post through naming their blog, and post a link to it. Let them know they have been challenged by leaving a comment in their blog.


I've posted on a few life-changing Millie moments previously here & here & here so I'm not sure how riveting these observations will be, but here goes!



1. I joined the world on January 9th 1956. That makes me 52 & boy, have I got a lot more I want & need to do yet! My beautiful Mother said I was always a serious & quiet baby, no trouble really - gosh has that changed, just ask MOTH!




2. I was always Daddy's little Princess. Like Mel from the delightful MelsRosePlace, my parents were very late to parenthood, in fact my Dad was 23 years older than my Mum & he was 56 when I was born, but he was just the best Dad in the world. He'd had a very unhappy childhood, & had been a very independent & solitary man until my Mum 'found' him. They made an amazing couple & each evening at dinner he leant over the table, looked at my Mum & said to her 'Have I told you today how much I love you.' Smiling, she always tutt-tutted him, but I learnt very early that saying those 3 words openly & without embarrassment are what makes the world go round & round! To my great sorrow he died suddenly 4 weeks before I got married for the first time, so he didn't get to do the thing he'd been most looking forward to - walking his little Princess down the aisle.





3. I have one sister, younger by 2 years & we are from different planets - enough said!




4. As a little girl I was obsessed by Alice in Wonderland & frequently retreated into the mystical world that Lewis Carroll created & still do! I grew up in the Clare Valley & to my absolute joy, one year the end-of-year school play was, yes you guessed it & here I am in the starring role!



5. At the end of my second year of nursing training, my best friend the lovely P. & I headed off for 4 week holiday in New Zealand. We told our parents that we were going on an organised Bus Tour, but in actual fact, we hitch-hiked both islands. It was a life-changing experience, as at the age of 18, both of us met the Kiwi guys we both went on to marry. Here we are in Wellington, what was I thinking with the polka-dot head scarf & the Dr. Scholl sandals!



5. I met MOTH not long after this photo was taken in 1990. I think it was the high maintenance big hair that attracted him!



6. I've done the wedding thing twice, once when I was just 20 in 1976........

......and then again in 1995 at the more respectable age of 39. Sadly, my darling Mum died far too young in 1988, so never met the wonderful MOTH, but I know she would have just adored him as we all do.


7. I have been lucky to have travelled a lot with my work & over the years have sat next to some very interesting people on long-haul flights. Miss Lauren Bacall was without doubt, the most interesting, on a night flight from Tahiti to Sydney. She was every bit the movie star to the poor Qantas flight crew, but she was in the mood to talk, & talk she did - to me. I found her engaging, irreverent & incredibly funny. She wanted to know all about me, my life, my little boys at home & Australia. Like any other doting Mum, she pulled the family photos out of her handbag & proceeded to show me the lot. I was somewhat taken aback though, when she pointed out a man with a small child in one of the photos & said 'Oh, that's just a picture of my first husband Bogey, you might have heard of him.' I liked her immensely.


The other person who won my heart was John F. Kennedy Jnr. We sat together on a Chicago-Los Angeles flight that was delayed on the tarmac at O'Hare for an additional 3 hrs., so I had a lovely 9 hrs. with him, thank you very much! What a truly beautiful soul he was, so humble & self-effacing. Highly intelligent, extremely well-read & with the most exquisite manners, I was just mesmerised the whole flight. One of life's special moments that I'll never forget.


To continue the fun I'd like to hand the baton to:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online