RECENT POST

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Channelling Grannie


The Fife Tiara

As I was hurtling around the house on Saturday arvo, doing my Sadie the Cleaning Lady act with vacuum cleaner, mop & bucket, I suddenly thought, 'I bet if I was wearing a tiara, I wouldn't be doing this!'. Then MOTH would be forced to say 'Here, my beautiful Princess, I can't bear to see your tiara slipping as you scrub - let me take over!'

Then my beloved Grannie came to mind. She was a true Royal groupie, devouring anything & everything Royal. She carefully cut out any pictures of the Royals (from the Women's Weekly, newspapers, Royal Tour programmes, etc.) & pasted them into big blank A3 scrapbooks. If I was having a sleep-over at her house as a little girl, she'd get them all out. We'd sit at the dining room table, just the two of us, with a glass of lemonade & piece of her famous Neopolitan Cake & she'd carefully turn the pages describing each picture & Royal in great detail.

At the Rowing Club Quiz Nights, I've occasionally won for our Team (& severely embarassed my anti-Royalist husband) by answering something obscure about the dear old Royals that's been stored deep within my subconscious for the best part of 45 years! My darling Dad (an ardent Republican) teased her, his dear Mother-in-Law mercilessly about this obsession & always called her The Duchess! However, none of this deterred her in the slightest, she just carried on, cutting & pasting the Royals until she died.

So to my gorgeous Grannie Edie, this post is for you & to everyone else ......here's some marvellous Monday morning bling & the gals who wore them. Which one would you like the Courtiers to dust off for you to wear today? I've got first dibs on The Fife!

...... and Princess Louise

The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

...... and Princess Diana

The Poltimore Tiara

..... and Princess Margaret

The Empress Eugenie Tiara
..... and Empress Eugenie

The Kokoshnik Tiara
...... and Queen Elizabeth 11
The Indian Tiara

..... and the Duchess of Gloucester

The 'Girls of Great Britain and Ireland' Tiara

...... and Queen Mary

The Delhi Durbar

...... and the Duchess of Cornwall
The Burmese Ruby Tiara

...... and Queen Elizabeth 11


The Papyrus Tiara

...... and Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother

....... and Viscountess Linley

Image 1: Ancestry Images 2,8,10,18 : The Royal Forums Image 4 : Forum-Princess Diana Image 5: Flickr Image 6 : Charlene Day Photography Image 7: News Images 9, 11,12,15,16,19,20,21: Alexander Palace Image : Etoile Image 3,17, : Royal Exhibitions Image 13 : Royal Collection Image 14: Pricescope

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online