RECENT POST

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Guest Star



The Guest Room looks fab with its new headboard & I've been remiss by not giving it a wrap-up. But as I recall, I became somewhat distracted the week in November it all happened, something about seeing a Radiologist & an Orthopaedic Surgeon in a hurry. So, here it is in it's prettiness (well I think so anyways!).

For new Hedgies who may be interested, I posted a fairly in-depth discussion on the project here. Of all the rooms we've tackled so far, this is the one that feels like I'm in a whole different house. I'm still on the look-out for the right throw pillows for the bed, but I'm sure they'll find me soon. I always knew this house was going to be a challenge & I know people have thought us quite crazy. But the vision is still as strong as ever.

This house is slowly but surely emerging from its cloak of '70's dark brown glumness. The constraints of a tight budget & demanding outside work commitments has slowed progress this past year, but I reckon we're doing OK. Not too bad actually for Mr. 61 & his 'ol 54 side-kick! And I'm also happy to report, there has been considerable progress in the Bathroom-From-Hell over the past couple of weeks - but I'm moderating my excitement for the moment & so should you.

The bedside table is nearly 30 years old, was a Franco Cozzo look-alike in dark brown with doors & scrolly-things which I ripped off in a fit of pique one day. It held the sound system in our old house & I hated it, but once I stripped it & repainted it, it seems very happy to be 'repurposed'.

BEFORE - the room as we saw it at the Open Inspection with the previous Owner's stuff.

AFTER - quite a dramatic difference!

The 2 prints on the wall left of the curtains were a wedding gift 14 years ago from great friends. The frames were looking a little tired, so I refreshed them with new ones from Maison d'IKEA.

I cherish the note our friends wrote on the back.

I used Toiles De Mayenne Bandol Stripe Small for the bonded roller blind.

And the same to make a long cushion for the blanket box & had the edging piped on the diagonal.

The blanket box is another 'repurposed' item. It was the boys toy box for ever & ever & I just repainted it from a yukky reddish-brown to white. The child who the box was bought for is turning 30 next month, so it's given me great service!

The mirror was a good buy at the post- Christmas sales.

The bedhead fabric is Toiles De Mayenne Verola Stripe Wide - Oyster.

While pretty ugly, the original 1972 built-in wardrobe was functional & very well built, so MOTH saved it. However to give the room a better configuration for furniture placement, he relocated it.

.....from this wall where the mirror & blanket box are now

.....to this wall facing the window. The brushed silver wardrobe door hardware is still original 1972, they looked OK, so we just used them again. MOTH did build a plaster board bulkhead to give the whole thing a finished look. Otherwise the top of the wardrobe would just be a dust collector.

This was the empty wall the wardrobe was relocated to. MOTH getting rid of the hideous, unsalvagable nylon carpet for me.

Just before receiving a first coat of primer.

As I mentioned in the original post, MOTH had been pondering the ceiling for some time, & about a second after I took this pic, he turned to me & said 'That's it, I've decided to build a new frame, drop the ceiling & install down-lights.' And so he did!

I'm delighted with the fabric choice & so grateful to Miss Richfields for her gentle guidance. We have been friends since our kids were babies, so she has my number well & truly & knows how to 'manage' me!

Now that the Christmas lilies have all gone, things are pretty light-on in the garden, so the good old Agi's got a run.

This pic is for Ange who queried whether I did all my Domestic Goddess chores in my pearls & evening dress as depicted in my Home Page photo. As you can see Ange by the disgusting old t-shirt, no make-up, bad, bad hair & the absence of any pearls, the answer to your query is a loud NO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online