RECENT POST

Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Mum's Pink Post


Darling Mum

21 long years have gone since you softly smiled, closed those amazing deep brown eyes & left us to be with Dad. It's National Breast Cancer Awareness Month & so this post is for you. You weren't really a Pink girl, but you loved pretty things & I'm sure you'll find these images fun . Even though this horrible disease had ravaged your body, you quietly supported newly-diagnosed women through the Breast Cancer Network, and I know by the letters we received from so many of them after your death, your gentle & loving care helped them more than you ever realized.

Even though we knew you were struggling in your quiet & dignified way, the end of your life came suddenly, you were too young & we weren't prepared. For 3 years we thought all would be well, you decided that radical surgery was your best option when you were diagnosed, so we supported you as best we could. I know the disfigurement & subsequent discomfort was far greater than you'd expected, but you accepted it & continued on. You embraced life & developed a spiritual pathway that bought you incredible enlightenment & strength, although remember us worrying that you might go all 'Alternate' on us & move onto an Ashram!

Then the disease came back with a vengeance & all that invasive & debilitating treatment began again. You didn't want us to come with you, saying you needed to do this alone. Although we respected your decision, it broke our hearts to see you so ill again. Your quiet acceptance that the inevitable would happen & that you were prepared, has given me the strength to carry on without you. It wouldn't have been your style at all to rage & fight until the end, your beautiful soul had reached a place of tranquility & peace that allowed you to let go with such dignity & elegance, just as you had wanted. You always laughed when I introduced you to people as 'This is my Mum, she's a class act!' - but oh you were!

You would be The Hedge's biggest fan, encouraging me to write & express myself at any given opportunity - always the school teacher. So enjoy this Pink Post my darling Mum & if there are any spelling errors, I'm sure you'll let me know.



































Image 1: KMH Image 2: Angel at my Table Images 3,8,20: Architectural Digest Image 4: Robin Stubbert Images 5,7,19: Southern Accents Image 6: Villa Anna Image 9: Brides Images 10,16: Coastal Living Image 11: Debi Treloar Image 12: Victoria Image 13:Yanconyung Image 14: Decorpad Image 15: My Life as A Reluctant Housewife Image 17: Prairie Roses Garden Image 18: Crowson Fabrics Image 21: Moberg Gallery Image 22: Mulberrry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online