RECENT POST

Monday, June 15, 2009

Naming Rights



Son # 5 arrived over the weekend with his new little four-legged 'baby' for a visit. She was still without a name, so he asked 'Mum, could I have a look at the Baby Book.' So we pulled it from the bookshelf & plonked down together in front of the fire to do some serious name research. The book was originally my Grannie's, then my Mum's & is now mine. I used it to choose all of the boy's names & when they were little, they always loved reading it on cold, rainy days & fighting over who could find the silliest name in the 'Choosing A Name' chapter. As this book comes from the 1950's, they always ended up finding something outrageous! How about Arnoldine or Lyonelle, Quintina or Xylia for a girl? Or Chauncey, Hanford, Lysander or Warford for a boy? Quaint to say the least!

Looking through it again on Sunday, I got to thinking about the meaning of names. Mine means 'A Pearl' & MOTH's 'Given by God'. With the boys we've got a 'Leader of Men', one 'A Crooked Nose', a 'Beloved', another 'Warlike' & a 'Dove' - no further comment from their Mother is required here!

The author of the book 'World of Babies' was Mrs. Betty Paterson & while her illustrations would be considered a little 'twee' these days, I couldn't resist including her interpretation of my star sign Capricorn - with my love for music her illustration is spot on, but the bit about being cautious & reserved puzzles me!

Do you know what your name means? Let me know & we can all have a giggle.

Oh & BTW - our little furry girl now has a name - Sascha (Warrior/Defender of Men). And it suits her perfectly as Son # 5 says even at just 10 weeks, her Border Collie instinct is well advanced & she uses every opportunity to try & round both him & his sweet girlfriend up & pen them into a corner!



All images from Betty Paterson's World of Babies (Thomas Nelson Australia Ltd.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online